}

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Journal of a cooking anti-fan

I don't like cooking. Everybody who knows me knows I am not a fan of spending my time in the kitchen. Nobody ever complains and seems to be ok with it (yes, I am lucky to have a great family!) but at times I feel bad about my attitude towards cooking. No, don't think I am a bad cook, it is not the case, I just don't enjoy cooking. Am I normal? Women in my family always cook, 3-4 times a day, 7 days a week - and love it. What's wrong with me? Am I not a real woman?

Getting married and moving to another country opened a new chapter in my life. Obviously I cook here too and never stop comparing cooking/eating habits here in the US and back in Russia. Lots of differences. Maybe this new experience answer my question why I don't like cooking? Or even make me like it? I don't know.

No doubts, food is a big cultural thing. After some thoughts, I decided to start this blog. It is by no way a cooking or food blog. It is my attemp to understand myself and this cooking/food world around me. Nothing fancy, just everyday life of food and a cooking anti-fan trying to find herself in her kitchen away from kitchen.

5 comments:

Maria K said...

Marina, I think you're good at everything your're putting your hands to, including cooking. It probably doesn't happen as frequently as you think it shoud be, but who cares. I'm a fantastic cook myself, making something new once in a while, not every day, and never burning out myself over the oven. No pun intended. Life is much simpler nowadays comparing with how it used to be when women slaved in the kitchen, mixing and chopping. Now the machines can do these things. All it's left to us is please ourselves with creative improvisations. I'm sure you enjoy that part too.

Carol Phillips said...

Marina, In the old days a woman's full-time job was taking care of her home and family, and cooking was a large part of that job whether you enjoyed it or not. Today's woman has so many outside interests, including full-time jobs,and I believe she cooks more for enjoyment (especially if she has a partner at home to share the cooking). I don't know you very well but I have a feeling that you excel at everything you attempt and I'm willing to bet that you get real creative in combining two cultures of cooking styles and I look forward to reading about your adventure in your blog.

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your comments.
Maria, I am trying to be the best I can be, and I am not skipping cooking. I just believe I can think of better ways to implement my talents than being in the kitchen:)
Carol, in my family there are no housewifes, even my Grandmas long time ago had full-time jobs, but they always cooked and spent a significant amount of time taking care of their homes, husbands, kids, pets etc. Looking at the two culture I tend to think that mine is more traditional, where a woman is expected to do more. Here nobody wants me to cook but I feel bad when the kids make their own breakfast or lunch - I got used to the idea that it is my job to provide food to family members just because I am a woman.
Now creativity... well, let's see what I come up with:)

Anna said...

Wow! I am definitely following this blog! And hey, even though you say you don't like cooking, you were always a real pro in that! I still remember when you told me to "take the entire skin from the chicken and said it's an "easy" recipe ;)Great blog darling.

Unknown said...

LOL Oh yes, I remember that 'chicken' convo:))) Well, skills and passion are two different things;) I have no passion for cooking - shame on me!