}

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is just round the corner, and the Halloween weekend is in its full gear now. Last year I missed this holiday just by a few days but this year I can feel it approaching. We are not doing any Halloween parties (yeah we are that boring:), and the kids said they are too old for trick-or-treat. OK, but we are also doing Halloween our way. 

Last weekend we went to a pumpkin patch and got our pumpkins. The patch itself I didn’t find too much fun but I am glad I checked it out. Then the kids and I had a great time carving the pumpkins and just lonely my cleaning up the mess:) The whole past week we’ve been enjoying our Jack-o-Lanterns, and it is something really delightful.

Happy faces at pumpkin patch
Trinity and I with our pumpkins...
and what they turned into
Xavier and his pumpkin friend
Jack-o-Lanterns
Saturday night before Halloween has been all about classic monster movies. We started with ‘Dracula’ (1931), and it is so far my favorite, then watched ‘The Wolf Man’ (1941) and the sequel “Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man” (1943), and I was glad to learn that the actress who played the gypsy woman was Russian Maria Ouspenskaya, and finished the night with ‘The Invisible Man’ (1933) with the young Gloria Stuart who also played in ‘Titanic’ at the age 87. We had so much fun! 

What about food? Of course, movies and snacks go hand in hand. Like for the Oscar night, I decided to play it simple and just stock up on different snacks and make cupcakes. Dave and I have been eating super healthy all week so I am sure he was more than happy to enjoy some American crap with his favorite movies. Trinity helped me with the cupcakes - we went for chocolate ones, and decorated them with some orange icing and pumpkin faces. Not sure we did our best on the decoration part but I can tell you that the cupcakes tested really good and we both had a great time putting it together, and it is the most important thing, right? 

Halloween cupcakes


No matter where in the world you are and how you are celebrating, Happy Halloween!

7 comments:

Anna said...

Looks like you've had a lot of fun! And cooking looks delicious, as always. Great post!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Yes we did - and show must go on:)

Elina (Russian Bites) said...

I'm not really celebrating Halloween this year either but I made pumpkin muffins and we did carve pumpkins earlier this year. Good enough for me :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun too. Happy Halloween! Btw, if you would like to share your pumpkin muffins recipe, my Guest section is always open:)

alex.briskina said...

I think your cupcakes look really nice. :) And what these pumpkin decorations are made of?

Unknown said...

Thank you! The pumpkins are plain plastic and they came from a party supply store:)

alex.briskina said...

jaja, I thought they are eatable (candies or something)... :)))