}

Saturday, January 29, 2011

First encroachment upon Asian cuisine

Last Thursday was such a beautiful day that I decided to take a walk around our neighbourhood. Having no concrete destination, I ended up near our grocery store. I didn’t need anything but why not to do some window shopping there? Sounds crazy but to tell you the truth I enjoy grocery store window shopping, especially when it is not crowded. It is not like running around with a cart and a shopping list often full of banal bread-milk-eggs and being stressed out over not forgetting something - it is more like exploring a well-known place to discover what FMCG, agriculture and retail have to offer today.

This is what I did and found myself in the Asian food aisle. The result: nori, chow mein noodles, rice vinegar, celery and a melon. I had no cooking plans for dinner and decided to play with Asian theme. For a non-foodie and cooking anti-fan like me making sushi was quite a challenge and of course a big deal.


first roll experience

Since it was going to be my first experience I was not sure about how it would go and didn’t want to waste some fresh raw fish I went for simple cucumber rolls. In my very unprofessional version it turned out easier than I expected and... the smell of nori and rice with vinegar filling my kitchen told me I was doing something right (hope so:) 
roll of rolls
The chow mein noodles package gave some cooking directions but I just skipped it and went my own way and turned it into a veggie meal adding some onion, garlic, carrots and celery.


chow mein Marina's version

chow mein ready to be consumed
The dinner was ready, and Dave was surprised big time when I served home-made chow mein and cucumber rolls - and he liked it! I have some nori and rice vinegar left so my humble experiment with Asian food to be continued:)

No comments: