}

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Women’s Day To My Girls!

Today, on Women’s Day, I’ve decided not to cook or share any recipes but to write a tribute to the most important women in my life who taught me everything. They are thousands miles away from me right now but always in my heart and close to me. 

The Best Mom in the World!
Evgeniya, my Mom, the best Mom in the world, who has been supporting me in everything I am doing even when she was not sure it was the right thing to do. Being an amazing cook, my Mom taught me the most important thing: kitchen and dining room should always be extra clean. She is the most organized person I’ve ever known, and I can only hope I can be like her in that. Thanks to my mom I never left dirty dishes in the sink, know how to bone a chicken, make the best salads, eat healthy and enjoy it and do anything in the kitchen without a microwave!
We stick together during good and bad times and she always come out as a winner. When my Dad died 14 years ago and it was really tough, she taught me what a real woman is all about and how to be strong and independent, and I always remember that. Without my Mom I would never be what I am now. She is the best! I love you, Mom!

The Best Aunt in the World!

My Aunt Ludmila, my Dad’s sister, also known in the family as Milok and Pokemon (the origin of the second one nobody remembers). She rocks! One of my BBF since early childhood despite 44 years of age difference. She taught me to cook borsch, eggplants, stuffed peppers, pickles and many other essential but incredibly yummy things. She also introduced me to travelling and gardening. I will never forget our long ‘dacha’ summers in the country with no TV, radio, computer and phone but with lots of work in the garden, simple food, classical literature and endless crosswords every night. Yes, Milok, you were strict on me but now I am thankful for that. She taught me to be hard working. Thanks to my Aunty, in my life I follow that weird combination of Orthodox believes, Russian superstitious and Jewish wisdom. So far it works. I love you, Milok!


The Best Grandma in the World!

My Grandma Tatiana (my Mom's mom), or Baba Tanya as we normally call her. She is simply awesome and is worth a book or movie about her. Coming from an old-believers Cossack family, she is the keeper of folk culture and wisdom in our family. She is the most positive person I’ve ever met - she loves everybody with that level of Christian love I can never reach. She makes the best ‘pirozhki’ in the world - we’ve all tried to follow her recipe it never came out as good as hers. The secret must be her hands that can also heal headaches and stomachaches. Living on the Volga river, Baba Tanya is also a master of cooking fresh-water fish and crawfish. Every time we visit her in Volgograd we head to the Central market and then to her kitchen - it is heaven, probably the best place in the world followed by my Grandma’s pantry filled with home-made pickles, jams and my all time favorite home-made preserved baby pears. I love you, Babulya!

Three women, three different personalities, three different generations - each is a strong individual and my role model. Thank you for always being here for me! I love you all!

Mother & Daughter
Aunt & Niece
Grandmother & Granddaughter

Happy Women’s Day Girls!!!

6 comments:

Carol said...

What a beautiful and loving tribute to what sounds like three amazing women. You know they must be amazing because look how you turned out. I know some day you will be reading those words about yourself.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your great words Carol. Yes, those three are amazing!

DEBORAH ANNE said...

Marina you must feel very blessed to have these 3 wonderful women as your living mentors. I love your tribute to your girls, beautifully expressed. :) X

Unknown said...

Thank you Deborah! I am really blessed to have them and have been born to their family;)

Anna said...

These words are really touching! You have great women in your family, and you are an amazing descendant of such a loving and caring family! You women are really gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Thank you!