}

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Birthday Cakes

Princess Cake for Trinity
Actually, I am not a big fan of baking but I am sure nothing express love better than a homemade cake, and when it comes to birthday parties a cake is a must. Last weekend we celebrated Trinity’s 11th birthday, and of course, I made a cake for her - it was all pink chocolate & vanilla princess cake topped with multicolor sprinkles and a Tinkle Bell candle. Trinity totally loved it, and it made me very happy. Mission accomplished.

My ‘career’ as a cake maker here in the State began back in December last year when we were getting ready for my father-in-law’s birthday. When someone turns 70 it is not easy sometimes to think of a great gift but I believe thought and attention matter to people of certain age much more than any expensive store-bought item. Why not to make him a cake, I though, and to make it special I wanted to have it themed. What theme to pick, that was the question. Pappa Robin loves movies. A Hollywood themed cake? I shared my idea with Dave - he liked it and mentioned Jayne Mansfield, an American actress, one of the sex symbols of the 1950th and Pappa Robin’s friend back those days. There is no need to mention he is her biggest fan - you should have seen his place - it is a real Jayne Mansfield museum. The decision was made: Jayne Mansfield cake. 

Cake layers for Jayne Mansfield Cake

Buidling up the cake
Frosting
I planned it to be one big cake so my father-in-law could share it with all his friends but it turned out even bigger than I had expected: 3 layers consisted of 6 shortbreads, lots of cream cheese and vanilla frosting, pink decorations and a photo of the idol to top the whole thing. The cake was pink inside (strawberry flavored) - it was her favorite color, and with the big pink heart in front: she loved everything heart-shaped. The frosting I kept simple white and just added some sparkling black elements like film tape to celebrate old classic black and white movies. The photo - black and white also - I bought on eBay and framed in a tape-like paper frame. It was a lot of work and also a lot of fun - not that much for Dave though who had to drive me late at night to the nearest grocery store so I could get some more frosting - yes, the cake turned out that big I ran out of the stuff I had bought in advance pretty fast. Anyways, it all worth the effort. You should have seen the ‘birthday boy” - he was so excited, and all his friends and neighbours got a piece as well.

Done!
Jayne Mansfield Cake for Pappa Robin

Man and his Woman
The next one was Xavier’s birthday, and it was an easy choice: Lego. Chocolate ‘Lego’ element in Xavier’s favorite blue color. It was a 2-layer chocolate cake with cream cheese in between and 4 cupcake-like elements on top. The frosting part was a bit tough, but it all worked out, and I learned how to figure out the right amount of frosting needed:) Xavier was very happy, and we all enjoyed some nice chocolate birthday treat. Yum:)

Lego Cake for Xavier
The cake for Trinity I wanted to be cute and princess-themed. I was thinking of something relatively small as well since her birthday fell on Sunday when we had to drop them off, I was fasting and Dave would be the only one to kill the leftovers. I ended up with a round two layer vanilla cake with chocolate ‘veins’ (looked really nice when sliced) and pink vanilla frosting. Multicolor sprinkles and the Tinkle Bell candle added the desired fairytale touch. I can’t say much about the taste of it (yes, I didn’t get to try it since it wasn’t Lent-friendly) but I can tell it smelled delicious when sitting in the oven. The family liked it a lot, and when Trinity saw the cake she was just amazed. The kid was happy, and it means I did a good job:)

Cake-to-be
Princess Cake for Trinity
Trinity making a wish...
... and blowing the candles. Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Anna said...

I'm speechless! This is just amazing! WOW! I'm so inspired! I guess I just have to get used to the thought I could never bake anything close to that... My cake layers always break and I have no idea how to make that gorgeous frosting and decorations... Where did you possibly learn all that? Dave is sooo lucky with his wife! Could you possibly give any tips for the hopeless bakers like me?

Unknown said...

Anita, the key is to believe in yourself;))) Books, magazines and cooking shows do help a lot:)))

Anna said...

OK hun. I re-read this post again. I do need a recipe for this layers! Were they bought ready? And the frosting if you can!!!! I'm absolutely speechless!!!!!