}

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kitchen globalization: Russian beetroot salad and nachos cheese sauce

When Lent is almost over and real spring (summer for me) is already here in California I realized I never made Russian beetroot salad aka “винегрет” that has been one of me all time favorite winter vegetarian dishes. My Russian friends may want to skip this part of the post, but for my foreign friends it might be something interesting: this is an easy recipe from ingredients you always have in your fridge/pantry and it is pretty satisfying. I’d probably put it under the ‘comfort food’ category.

Vinegret (винегрет) aka beetroot salad

Russian beetroot salad in the States
Ingredients (serves 4):
  • 2 big beets
  • 3 medium-sized potatoes
  • 2 medium-sized carrots
  • 2 cups sweet peas
  • 3 pickles 
  • ½ small onion
  • salt and pepper - to taste
  • vegetable oil 



Directions:
  1. Boil beets, potatoes and carrots. (Note: Cook potatoes and carrots together on one big saucepan and beets separate to prevent coloring).
  2. Chop all the vegetables in equal size small cubes.
  3. In a large mixing bowl mix together the beets, potatoes, carrots, peas, pickles and onion.
  4. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Stir in vegetable oil, mix well.
  6. Serve cold and enjoy! 
Note 1: If you have Russian sauerkraut mix it will the chopped vegetables. It adds more flavour to the salad and also works as a great opposition to more dry boiled veggies. I actually prefer it with sauerkraut more. 

Note 2: Top it with some fresh finely chopped dill.

Note 3: Some people for dressing use a combination of vegetable oil, vinaigrette and sugar - you may try it and see how you like it. Another option (if you are not pure vegetarian and not fasting) - light mayonnaise.

Russian beetroot salad in Moscow
Later the same day there was the SJ Sharks vs LA Kings game and Dave wanted some fun snacks. We had corn tortillas but no sauce and Dave was craving some cheese sauce. Cheese we had, and I decided to try and make sauce myself. Really, pretty much all store-bought stuff can be home-made. As I already wrote Mexican/quasi-Mexican food is not that popular in Russia and I am just learning to add it to my everyday meal. This is one more trial of mine. 

Nachos cheese sauce 

Ingredients (serve 1):
  • 7 oz (200 g) sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbs butter
  • ½ cup milk 
  • salt, pepper - to taste






Directions:
  1. Grate cheese.
  2. In a small saucepan melt 2 tbs butter, add ½ cup milk and then grated cheese. 
  3. Stir often and keep over medium heat till the cheese completely melts, add salt and pepper. 
  4. Pour over tortilla chips, add jalapenos and avocado. 
  5. Enjoy it hot. 
Note 1: I’ve heard that many add flour to the mix. I believe it is good but since I just ran out of it and didn’t want to run to the store just to pick a pack of flour I went without it. Worked out. 

Note 2: I used just plain salt and pepper but I think it is all flexible and you may want to add other spices, chopped pickles, bacon ect. It is all good. Some hot sauce is always a nice touch:)

"Винегрет" and nachos... sounds pretty crazy but things like that happen when you have a kitchen away from kitchen:))) 

No comments: