}

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fried rice

My husband Dave is a big fan of Chinese food and he was the one who introduced me to it. While sushi became very popular in Russia being served everywhere (and even where they don’t belong) Chinese food is still not the primary choice for eating out or home cooking, and very unfairly.

Now I am totally into Chinese food: I love it for its ingredients and different taste mix. It is also great for Lent. Of course, I decided to try and cook something at home, and started with the basics: fried rice. It is one of Dave and the kids’ favorites and I wanted to be able to cook it for them at home. I know I will never be authentic but if they enjoy my food it is all that matters. Below I am sharing with you the way I make it. It is an easy and fast dinner everyone would enjoy.

Fried rice

Ingredients (serve 4-5):
  • 2 cups raw rice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup peas
  • 1 cup carrots chopped in small pieces
  • 4-5 onion leaves
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil 
  • 4 tbs soy sauce
Note: I tried making fried rice in a regular pan but once I bought a wok it changed everything.

Directions:
  1. Prepare rice: put the desired amount of rice in a saucepan and pour in some water (water level should not be more than 0.8 in/2 cm above the rice level), mix and put to boil, stirring constantly to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. When the water starts boiling, add salt and 1 tbs vegetable oil and cook covered on very low heat (rice should be steam-cooked). After 20 minutes turn the heat off and keep covered for some 10-15 minutes. 
  2. Prepare vegetable. Frozen peas and carrots do just fine. Cook as directed on the package. I stir-fry in a wok over medium heat. Chop onion leaves. 
  3. Prepare scrambled eggs.
  4. Preheat wok. Add 2 tbs vegetable oil. Pour in rice stirring often (don’t allow it to extra fry) - you may want to use a bamboo spoon. 
  5. Add peas and carrots. Keep stir-frying. 
  6. Pour in soy sauce (make sure it goes over the wok walls not over the rice). Stir well. 
  7. Add scrambled eggs and chopped onion leaves. Mix well.
  8. Ready to serve!


This is the basic version. Sometimes I use fried rice as a side dish and make orange chicken or honey pork as an entrĂ©e, sometimes I make pork or chicken fried rice that can serve as a main course. 

Pork / chicken fried rice

  • Follow the directions described above. 
  • While rice is cooking prepare meat: cut pork or chicken (chicken breasts work the best) into small pieces and marinate for some 10-15 min in the mixture of olive oil with salt, pepper, soy sauce and finely crushed garlic cloves. 
  • Stir-fry in a preheated wok till ready and add to rice before adding peas and carrots. 

5 comments:

Anna said...

Now nice! Will try definitely. I like the new layout! Those pictures to the right are hilarious!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I am still working in the layout - trying to fing 'my' style:)

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!!