}

Friday, July 22, 2011

Hearty family-size pasta dish

Back in Russia I was not a big fan of pasta: I grew up and grew out of being in love with macaroni, and pasta became an eat-out meal only after a long and busy day at work. That’s it. Pasta was a seldom guest on my home menu. 

Everything has changed after I married Dave. He had an Italian Grandma. Enough said. Sometimes I think he has pasta sauce instead of blood running through his veins:) 

Now pasta is an essential in my kitchen, and I worked out several ways of cooking it but this one is probably my favorite. It is easy to make and its family-size serving reminds my husband of his happy early childhood at his Italian grandparents’. I hope you like this hearty comfort food too.

Mushroom baked ziti 

I think what I make is close to this popular Italian American casserole dish. I don’t do layers but the idea is pretty much the same. No matter if you layer it or mix it, with quality and well-combined ingredients it tastes good. 

Ingredients (serve 4):

  • 1 lb (454 g) penne 
  • 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms (you can also use sausage, meat and peppers - anything you like)
  • 1 medium-sized onion
  • 4 garlic gloves
  • 2 cup tomato sauce (or 1 cup tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup water, 2 tbs olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper)
  • 1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese 

Directions:

  1. Cook penne al dente. Drain well.
  2. Make sauce: combine pasta sauce with finely chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms. Add 1 tbs olive oil, then salt, pepper and any other seasoning you enjoy with your pasta (sometimes I add a little bit of Italian herbs). Mix well.
  3. Put cooked penne in a casserole, add sauce and mix well. 
  4. Add 1 cup grated mozzarella. Mix well.
  5. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
  6. Cook for some 15-20 min at 350F (180C)
  7. Serve your pasta in a casserole and enjoy with your family.

3 comments:

Shilpa said...

pasta is one of my fav too :)

http://yummyfoodintummy.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

Okay, I'm DEFINITELY making this one! So easy and looks just delicious!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, this is a great quick fix family meal. Instead of mushrooms you can use anything else - sausage, beef, veggies etc