}

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eating healthy with a food steamer

Holidays are over, spring is coming, and it is time to think about our waist line and get rid of some extra lbs/kilos. Working out is a great way to do so, especially when it is nice and sunny outside and many outdoor sport activities are available but eating right is also a big part of weight watch and wellness program.

A few months ago I was doing some window shopping on Amazon and came across a nice and very inexpensive food steamer. I was just one mouse click from it, and I made a step towards eating better. It arrived in 2 days, and I was very excited. Dave, however, was a little bit sceptical about it. It is the third or fourth food steamer I’ve ever had, but the first one here in the States and I was not sure anyone would join me in my food steaming experience so I went for a small one thinking it would be a Marina-only things. 

The first night I tried my new kitchen friend, Dave gave me that look but I was committed and threw some chicken drumsticks, rice and frozen broccoli sprouts in the machine. In some 35 minutes a nice sound let me know the food was ready. I arranged in on the plate and added some fresh veggies - red bell peppers, cucumbers, avocados, tomatoes. Surprisingly, Dave loved it! Of course, he asked for some salt and pepper (I never season stuff when cook in a food steamer) but he ate the whole meal that was not fried but steamed. Looks like I will need to get a bigger food steamer some time in the future:)


Another thing I like about food steamers is that they are convenient and very time-saving. You just throw stuff in, press the button and wait, and unlike a microwave, it is all healthy. Fresh and frozen veggies, rice, meat, chicken, fish... everything is divine and tastes like real food. You can also make a great dessert: peel a pear, steam it for some 20 minutes and then glaze with some melted chocolate. Trust me, it is awesome. 

My best experience with a food steamer was a few years ago when it helped me to lose almost 31 lb (14 kg). Will see how it works for me now. One thing I know for a fact is that my food steamer is going to be my good friend during the upcoming Lent.  

No comments: