}

Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Last night I was staying up late and then I noticed that our radio in the bathroom was not playing Christmas songs anymore. Christmas is over, at least the first (Western) one. Hope everybody who celebrate it December 25th had a merry and joyful one. We spent the Christmas Eve at my father-in-law’s with the family, lots of food and Christmas music and movies. It was good to see everyone and have some peace and quiet together (well if you can have peace and quiet with 4 kids running around:) 

Upon my husband’s request for Chritsmas party I was making Russian salad (aka Olivier salad) and pirozhki. I’ve made it several times before so I won’t repeat the recipes. Pirozhki really worked out this time, and everybody enjoyed my food. 

Pirozhki w/cabbage
The day before the party the kids and I made some Christmas cookies and gingerbread men. We did it last year too, so I guess I can call it our family tradition. The recipe for the cookies I used the same as for my St. Valentine’s Day cookies with a slight modification: I added some vanilla and let the dough sit in the fridge for about an hour for easier handling. Gingerbread men I was making for the first time, and it is not difficult at all. The dough is pretty much like for cookies but with some ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. 

Ready to go into the oven
Crazy decorations
Christmas tree cookies
We had a lot of fun cutting out our stars, snowflakes, Christmas trees and gingerbread family. The aroma coming from the oven was divine. Then it was time for decorating. Trinity volunteered to help me with it, and we ended up having some red, blue and green guys:) The cookies we placed in some cute candy boxes, sealed them with a ribbon and attached cute name tags. Kitchen Away From Kitchen gifts were ready.

Kitchen Away From Kitchen gifts
Everybody liked them, especially Grandpa enjoyed the kids having been involved in making it. Happiness of the loved one is all that matters. 


Merry Christmas!

No comments: