}

Friday, August 19, 2011

Andersen’s split peas soup w/garlic bread

Two weeks ago Dave and I were driving from LA back to San Jose and stopped at Buellton for a bowl of the famous Andersen’s split peas soup. Dave loves it, and I was very excited about trying it for the first time. It turned out to be very tasty and a little bit different from the peas soup I got used to back in Russia. When we finished our lunch, I headed to the restaurant store to buy some stuff for my kitchen. I ended up with some Andersen’s seasoning and a lb of peas - yes, I know, you can buy them at any grocery store but the pack contained the recipe, and it was inexpensive so it was hard to resist. Branded soup bowl we had at home from own of Dave's prior visits to the restaurant. 

Andersen's in Buellton
Yesterday I finally had time to try making peas soup at home. The recipe is easy, ingredients are pretty common, and the only thing is it a little bit time consuming (you are using peas, after all, so it is expected) but I have to tell you: once you put all the ingredients in a saucepan and start the boil your kitchen will be filled with such divine aromas that you will like a cooking goddess. It is a very hearty dish your family will love. Dave did:) 

Abdersen's peas and seasoning 
At Andersen’s they serve their soup with some special bread. I don’t know the recipe for it so I just followed my intuition: I saw some garlic bread going well with the soup. I had no time to go to a grocery store or bakery (had to watch the peas soup and plus had to be online) but I had all the ingredients in my pantry so bread baking sounded like a good idea. I never made bread myself before - just cakes and pirozhki - and I was very curious about it, but now I can tell: it is a great experience. Making your dough look like a real bread loaf is so exciting, and the smell of freshly baked homemade bread is something that makes a house real home. Try and you won’t regret.

I wanted to have some garlic bread with my soup so I just made simple garlic spread: it is very easy to make: just toss in minced garlic and finely chopped parsley into soft butter, and refrigerate until use. It makes a great - and natural - bread spread. Yummy with some hot freshly baked bread. 

Homemade bread with garlic spread
Here I am sharing the recipes for the peas soup and bread. The peas soup recipe is the one that went together with the peas I bought in Buellton, and the bread one is just the basic recipe for a conventional oven. 

Andersen’s split peas soup

















Ingredients (make 8 bowls):
  • 2 Qts (1,8 L) of water 
  • 2 cups of peas
  • 1 branch of celery
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/4 tsp of ground thyme
  • 1 pinch of cayenne
  • 1 bayleaf
  • salt & pepper

Directions:
  1. Chop vegetables.
  2. Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and boil hard for 20 minutes.
  3. Then boil slowly until peas are tender.
  4. Strain through fine sieve.
  5. Reheat boiling point. 

Homemade bread
















Ingredients (make 1 loaf): 
  • 3/4 cups warm water
  • 1 envelope dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg white 

Directions
  1. Make sure your yeast works: mix it with warm water and 1 tsp sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 min - if it doubled in size it works.
  2. In a large bowl mix yeast, oil, salt and flour. Make a dough. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
  3. Punch dough down. Roll up from long ends to make a loaf. 
  4. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes. 
  5. Brush with egg white. With a sharp knife, make four or five diagonal cuts (1/4-inch deep - 0,7 cm), on top of loaf.
  6. Bake in a pre-heated 400°F (200 C) oven for 25 minutes, or until done.
  7. Remove from sheet and cool on wire rack. 
  8. Slice and enjoy with some garlic spread.
Ready to go into the oven
Ready!

Enjoy!

No comments: